It’s winter break and you don’t know what to do? We’ve got you covered! Our winter break camp makes it easy for you to provide a great STEAM learning opportunity for your 6-12 year old.
The KitHub Winter Break Camp includes some of our favorite projects that can be made at home using our Simple Electronics Kit (or from your favorite electronics store) and a few other common materials. The camp projects are designed for kids to learn about basic electronics at home at their own pace. No soldering or advanced tools are needed. We’ve developed a set of projects that can be done over four days along and to save you time, we’ve made a list of all materials you need. We’ll also host a live video hangout to discuss projects and answer any questions. Kids can share projects using the hashtag #kithub and view projects made by others in our Gallery of Awesome.
To make sure you’re ready for the camp, you need to buy the following materials:
- Electronics — KitHub Simple Electronics Kit (this kit includes all of the LEDs, motors and batteries that your kids needs to make all of the camp projects). You can also grab all the individual parts yourself.
- Craft supplies — Projects include everyday materials that you may have at home but just in case we made a shopping list (see below) so you will have everything you need.
This camp is self-paced so you can work on the projects anytime. We estimate that each project will take 1-2 hours.
Day 1: LED Light Saber/Glow Stick – Make your own glow stick ! This project is fun and perfect for New Year’s Eve.
Day 2: LED critter – These fun critters made with egg cartons, LEDs and pipe cleaners are a good introduction to making projects with LEDs. Kids will also learn the concepts of simple and parallel circuits.
Day 3: Art BotBot – This fun vibrating bot is one of our favorite projects! By adding markers or crayons, this moving bot makes art and is a fun first dive into making things move and robotics.
Day 4: Hovercraft – On the last day of camp, this
- Simple and parallel circuits
List of Materials
- 2 DC hobby motor with alligator clip leads 1.5V-3V
- 4 LEDs
- Googly eyes
- 1 roll of duct tape
- 2 AA batteries
- 2 lithium (coin) batteries CR2032 3V
- 2 12 oz cups
- 2 Pipe cleaners
- 4 paper clips
- 1 egg carton
- 1 clear Bic pen
- Markers or crayons
- 1 paper plate
- Hot glue gun
- Glue sticks