At KitHub, our goal is to make STEM projects easy and accessible for educators. We realize that funding is an issue for teachers, so we created a guide to help teachers find ways to get STEM in the classroom. In this guide, we will introduce several funding sources for teachers, followed by a quick walkthrough to get you started.
- Visit DonorsChoose.org/teachers to register for a teacher account.
- Upload a fun, eye-catching classroom photo.
- Select "Create a Project" on the Projects page of your teacher account and choose the type of project you want to create.
- Enter a bold and informative project title, like "Ready, Set, STEM!" or "Creative STEM kits for learning".
- Use the vendor directory to select the materials you and your students need for your classroom. Remember, try to keep the cost low. Projects under $400 have an %85 chance of getting funded. You can find KitHub projects on Amazon for classroom STEM projects under $400.
- You can narrow your search by choosing a category like "Science & Math" or using the search bar. Add the product to your cart and submit for review.
- Give a short, catchy description of the materials you've added to your project cart.
- Tell your story through the essay that will display on your project request. Introduce your classroom, describe your students, and tell about how you'll use the materials you are requesting. Share how your project will make a difference in your classroom. Provide plenty of information in a concise way so project funders know how they're helping.
- Double check your title, photo, and description. Make sure there are no errors. Look at your project from a donor's perspective and make sure it communicates what you want for your students.
- Review and submit your project.
- Promote your project to as many people as possible, including community members (such as local businesses) using the share tools on your project page (mail, Facebook, and other options) or through your public profile.
Adopt a Classroom
- Register a project at Adopt A Classroom.
- Enter your information, as well as information about your school and classroom.
- Choose your category of need (be sure to choose STEM if you're hoping to have KitHub kits for your classroom!) and write a short, catchy description of your needs.
- Add a good photo of your students or classroom and submit!
Fund My Classroom
- Go to fundmyclassroom.com and sign up with your email or through Facebook.
- You can fill out PayPal information if you're requesting funds, but it's not required for sign-up.
- Verify the school you selected on the left hand side of the screen and fill in shipping address.
- Click “Create a Wishlist” and start shopping.
- Add videos, photos and incentives to your campaign to help your cause.
- Spread the word to parents and friends about your funding needs. Classroom Supplies will be sent directly to your school and funds for field trips will be sent to your PayPal account once campaign is complete.
- Be sure to check out the “Teacher Marketplace” for fantastic discounts just for teachers!
If you choose to fund a KitHub project, we will always be happy to help where we can as you apply for funding. Follow us on Twitter -- @kithub -- to stay up to date on STEM projects and funding resources.
Here are some other organizations worth checking out to fund your classroom projects:
fundforteachers.org: Grants for professional development
teach.com: Resources for a variety of grants, including STEM related funding organizations
@winmoregrants: Follow them on twitter for grant writing resources
foundationcenter.org: Search tool for grant resources
Pin This Post